To bring some texture back to the building, I mixed some sand with glue & brushed it on.
I painted my shingles using a slate blue, a 'true' blue, then used blister pack foam & stippled on a green color, and finally a mix of a light blue & light green stippled with a sponge as well.
Ok, so for some extra support, I drilled a hole into the end of the dowel with a pin vice and attached a small dowel.
I did the same with the building before adding gobs of glue on the end & shoving the rod through the hole.
For the ground cover, I covered the base board with spackle & sprinkled it with gravel & sand
I painted the spackle with a grassy color & lightly sponged the rocks with white.
Using a mixture of random ground stuff I have, mostly static grass & fine turf, I covered the green areas. Then added patches of grass tufts.
Lastly, for the fabric on the blades, I used Viva brand paper towel, cut it to shape, soaked it in water, ripped some holes in them, then dabbed on random spots of a sepia wash. I also did a coat of white PVA after it was dry to help make them durable.
I think that's it. If you have any questions, let me know. Otherwise enjoy these photos of the finished product! Thanks guys!
This windmill was donated to the fine folks at Coulee Carnage to raise proceeds for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada. You can see more about their tournament on their website.